August Cuba Solidarity Calendar of Online Events!
(1) AUGUST 13 – Celebrate the Life & Legacy of Fidel Castro
(2) AUGUST 17 – Virtual Picket Action to Lift the U.S. Blockade on Cuba Now! (Canada)
(3) AUGUST 17 – Virtual Picket Action to Lift the U.S. Blockade on Cuba Now! (Ukraine)
(4) AUGUST 20 – Celebrate 60 years of the Cuban Federation of Women!
>> (1) AUGUST 13 – Celebrate the Life & Legacy of Fidel Castro
THURSDAY AUGUST 13
5pm Pacific Time (Vancouver time)
REGISTER FOR ZOOM HERE: https://zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_trWRd3qyReuzWrKMZtVzjQ
Join the event on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/events/595202088057151
Join us to celebrate Comandante Fidel Castro’s 94th birthday and pay tribute to his remarkable life!
>>> With welcoming by: NALDA VIGEZZI — Co-chair of the National Network On Cuba (NNOC)
IKE NAHEM —Longtime anti-imperialist and socialist activist. Retired Amtrak Locomotive Engineer, member Teamsters Union and Railroad Workers United. He is active in Cuba solidarity work in the New York-New Jersey area and a central organizer of the International Conference for the Normalization of U.S.-Cuba Relations. Author, The Life of Fidel Castro: A Marxist Appreciation.
TAMARA HANSEN —Executive member of the Canadian Network on Cuba, Coordinator of Vancouver Communities in Solidarity with Cuba (VCSC) & Author of “5 Decades of the Cuban Revolution: The Challenges of an Unwavering Leadership”
> JOSE RAMÓN CABAÑAS – Ambassador of the Republic of Cuba to the United States.
> JOSEFINA VIDAL – Cuba’s Ambassador to Canada. Lead negotiator in talks with Barack Obama Administration leading to reestablishment of US-Cuba diplomatic relations
> ANA SILVIA RODRIGUEZ – Permanent Representative of Cuba to the United Nations
> DON ROJAS – Press Secretary for the martyred Prime Minister of Grenada Maurice Bishop (1981-1983)
> AMBASSADOR DANG DINH QUY — Permanent Representative of Viet Nam to the United Nations.
> MARY-ALICE WATERS – President of Pathfinder Press
> CLEVER BANGANAYI — Friends of Cuba Society in South Africa (FOCUS)
> VIJAY PRASHAD — Indian historian, journalist, commentator, and Marxist intellectual
> GAIL WALKER — Executive Director, IFCO/Pastors for Peace
Special Presentation on the Saving Lives Campaign with –
> ISSAC SANEY, Canadian Network on Cuba
> CHERYL LABASH, National Network on Cuba
> SEAN O’DONOGHUE, Table de concertation de solidarité Québec-Cuba.
With cultural performances by:
> EL JONES – A poet, professor, activist and author of, “Live from the Afrikan Resistance!” (Roseway, 2014)
> KATHARINE BEEMAN – is a poet, long-time member of La Table de concertation de solidarité Québec-Cuba
> NORMAND RAYMOND – Singer-songwriter, musician, poet, translator, and a member of the Artistes pour la paix du Québec board of directors
Organizing Committee, International Conference for the Normalization of US-Cuba Relations
>> (2) AUGUST 17 – Virtual Picket Action to Lift the U.S. Blockade on Cuba Now! (Canada)
MONDAY AUGUST 17
4pm Pacific Time (Vancouver time)
REGISTER FOR ZOOM HERE: https://zoom.us/webinar/register/7615953148082/WN_0Kc5FNsmQMy79bkoO8vPTg
Join the event on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/events/306999553781366/
>>> Featuring Speakers & Greetings from Across Canada and Around the World including:
* LISA VALANTI – Vice-President of the Pittsburgh-Matanzas Sister Cities Partnership with Cuba
* DAVID ALDAMA PANDO – Third Secretary, Cuban Embassy in Ottawa, Canada
* IRMA DIOLI – President, National Italy-Cuba Friendship Association
* TREVOR BROWN – President of the Jamaica Cuba Friendship Association and the Jamaica Peace Council
* BENJAMIN MERCADO – Secretary of International Relations for Izquierda Socialista, Peru
* Greetings from International Cuba Solidarity organizers in Australia, Ukraine, and Colombia, CNC member groups & la Table de concertation et de solidarité Québec – Cuba
>> More international guests to be added soon! <<
>>> Event Co-chairs:
* BRONWYN CRAGG – Executive member of the Canadian Network on Cuba and the Canadian-Cuban Friendship Association Toronto. He is currently completing an MA in History + Jewish Studies at the University of Toronto
* TAMARA HANSEN – Executive member of the Canadian Network on Cuba, Coordinator of Vancouver Communities in Solidarity with Cuba (VCSC) & Author of “5 Decades of the Cuban Revolution: The Challenges of an Unwavering Leadership.”
*** Everyone is encouraged to make protest signs, display banners, or wear t-shirts against the blockade. These can be displayed in a group photo at the end of the virtual picket!
1) The program will begin with invited speakers and greetings.
2) In concluding the virtual picket, those who wish to participate in the photo will be invited by the co-chairs to turn on their cameras to join in! More specific instructions will be given by co-chairs during the virtual picket.
3) If you are unfamiliar with Zoom or require technical support, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
ORGANIZED BY: The Canadian Network on Cuba
>> (3) AUGUST 17 – Virtual Picket Action to Lift the U.S. Blockade on Cuba Now! (Ukraine)
MONDAY AUGUST 17
10m Pacific Time (Vancouver time)
REGISTER FOR ZOOM HERE: https://zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_ZvQVqNEDRn6N3KrXXlmIIQ?fbclid=IwAR3mglrRDDPR1fHepJBTlZj_iKmbMZT8_Ardi5lgMjaRT05dZuNffH2EcOY
See the event poster: https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=3079226248862937&set=a.1301637379955175
Featuring speakers from across Europe, Ukraine, Russia and North America.
Program will be in English, Spanish and Russian
ORGANIZED BY: The Ukrainian Committee “Stop the blockade of Cuba”
>> (4) AUGUST 20 – Celebrate 60 years of the Cuban Federation of Women!
THURSDAY AUGUST 20
5pm Pacific Time (Vancouver time)
REGISTER FOR ZOOM HERE: https://zoom.us/webinar/register/3215947810824/WN_IBWKPrF5RZmzQe88r3aOJA
Join the event on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/events/1020274528388674
This event is hosted from the traditional and unceded territories of the Tsleil-Waututh (səl̓ilwətaɁɬ), the Musqueam (xʷməθkʷəy̓əm), and the Squamish (Skwxwú7mesh) Coast Salish Nations.
> HER EXCELLENCY JOSEFINA VIDAL – Cuban Ambassador to Canada. Previously, she was president of the Cuban delegation in the first and second rounds of Cuba-U.S. talks, which paved the way for the restoration of diplomatic relations between both countries under Cuban President Raul Castro and American President Barack Obama, as well as the freedom of our 5 Cuban heroes held in U.S. jails, in December 2014.
> SANDRA RAMIREZ RODRIGUEZ – Director of the North America Desk of the Cuban Institute of Friendship with the Peoples (ICAP)
> GRETEL MARANTE ROSET – International Foreign Affairs representative at the national office of the Federation of Cuban Women
> TAMARA COLUMBIE MATOS – International Foreign Affairs representative at the national office of the Federation of Cuban Women
> MAGIA LÓPEZ CABRERA – Amazing rapper and poet, she is half of the phenomenal duo Obsesion de Cuba.
> STEPHANY MAZUERA VARGAS – Born in Zarzal, Valle de Cauca, Colombia, Stephany was a member of Amigos de Cuba (Cali-Colombia). From 2007, she studied at the Latin American School of Medicine (ELAM) in Havana, Cuba and the Ernesto Che Guevara faculty in Pinar del Rio, Cuba. She is an organizer with Vancouver Communities in Solidarity with Cuba (VCSC)
Join Vancouver Communities in Solidarity with Cuba along with Cuban guest speakers, multimedia, On August 23, 1960, the Cuban Federation of Women (FMC) held its founding meeting led by Vilma Espín Guillois, a leader of the Cuban revolution and the eternal president of the Federation of Cuban Women. 60 years later the FMC has become one of the world’s largest feminist organizations – boasting 4 million members – over 90% of women over the age of 14 in Cuba. The FMC continues to develop policies and programs aimed at achieving full equality for women in all spheres and levels of Cuban society. As Comandante Fidel Castro said, Cuba women are leading “A revolution within the revolution.”
Join Vancouver Communities in Solidarity with Cuba along with Cuban guest speakers, multimedia, poetry, and Q&A about the role of women in the Cuban revolution and the leadership of the Cuban Federation of Women (FMC)!
ORGANIZED BY: Vancouver Communities in Solidarity with Cuban (VCSC)
Member of Canadian Network on Cuba (CNC)